ANNISTON, Ala. – Even though the Alabama EMA/FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers are closed, help is still available for persons and families in Calhoun, Cullman and Etowah counties who suffered damage in the March 19-20 tornadoes and severe storms.

The deadline to register is Monday, June 25 so you still have time to register. However, the sooner you register for assistance, the sooner the assistance may be available. Here’s how:

  • Online at
  • Download the FEMA app from your cell phone app store and use it to register.
  • Call FEMA at 800-621-3362 or (TTY) 800-462-7585. Those who use 711 Relay or Video Relay Services also may call 800-621-3362.
  • The toll-free numbers operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week and translators of many languages are available.

When you register with FEMA, you will be asked to provide certain information that will be used to determine whether or not you qualify for assistance. So, have the following information on hand when you go online or call:

  • Social Security number
  • Address of the location where the damage occurred (pre-disaster address)
  • Current mailing address
  • Insurance information
  • Total household annual income
  • Routing and account number for your checking or savings account
  • A description of your disaster-caused damage and losses

After you register, you will receive a letter within seven to 10 days that states the agency’s determination of your eligibility.  It’s very important that you read this letter all the way through because if you are denied assistance, the letter will state why. And, if you disagree with the agency’s determination, you should file an appeal of the decision right away.

Directions on how to appeal are available at or you can call the FEMA Helpline for that information at 800-621-3362.  You also can ask questions or check your application. And, if needed, you can update any changes to phone numbers, mailing addresses and email addresses.


Importantly, if you receive an insurance settlement or you discover additional damage, you also should report this information to FEMA either online or by telephone as soon as possible.

If you applied for a low-interest disaster loan from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) and want to check on the status of your application, contact SBA’s Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center by calling 800-659-2955, emailing or visiting SBA’s website at Deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals may call 800-877-8339.


Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.
 FEMA’s mission: Helping people before, during, and after disasters.
Follow us on Twitter at and the FEMA Blog at
 The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps businesses of all sizes, private non-profit organizations, homeowners and renters fund repairs or rebuilding efforts and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations. For more information, applicants may contact SBA’s Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center by calling 800-659-2955 (Deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals may call 800-877-8339), emailing, or visiting SBA’s Web site at