Certain Non-Profit Organizations May Qualify for FEMA Disaster Assistance; Must Submit Request No Later Than This Friday

ANNISTON, AL ­- Nonprofit organizations that experienced damage or losses from the tornadoes and storms of March 19-20 in Calhoun, Cullman, Etowah and St. Clair counties may apply for Federal Emergency Management Agency Public Assistance to help them get back to the business of helping others.

 The FEMA Public Assistance program may reimburse eligible expenses incurred before, during and after the March 19-20 disaster event on a cost-share basis. The Federal cost-share for all categories of Public Assistance (PA) is 75 percent of total eligible costs.

 Only certain nonprofit organizations (PNPs) are eligible. If they provide critical services, such as education, utility, emergency or medical, they can apply directly to FEMA. Those that provide non-critical, essential services to the community must first apply for a low-interest loan from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). FEMA may pay for all eligible emergency work and the permanent work not covered by an SBA disaster loan.

 Essential service providers include:

  • Child care centers;
  • Libraries, museums and zoos;
  • Community centers;
  • Disability advocacy and service providers;
  • Homeless shelters and rehabilitation facilities;
  • Social and human services organizations for children, youth and adults;
  • Senior citizen centers; and
  • Houses of worship.


For more information about eligible essential and critical service providers, reference FEMA’s Public Assistance Program and Policy Guide on http://www.fema.gov.


A nonprofit that can prove tax-exempt status from the IRS or the state begins the process by submitting a Request for Public Assistance (RPA) to the State of Alabama. Contact Alabama Emergency Management Agency (AEMA) Public Assistance at (205) 280-2316 with any questions on RPA submission.

Your RPA Form must be completed and submitted to be considered for disaster recovery assistance funding. Once completed, email the form to pa@ema.alabama.gov.  The deadline to complete the RPA is May 25, 2018.


Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.
 FEMA’s mission: Helping people before, during, and after disasters.
Follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/femaregion4 and the FEMA Blog at http://blog.fema.gov.
 The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps businesses of all sizes, private non-profit organizations, homeowners and renters fund repairs or rebuilding efforts and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations. For more information, applicants may contact SBA’s Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center by calling 800-659-2955 (Deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals may call 800-877-8339), emailing disastercustomerservice@sba.gov, or visiting SBA’s Web site at sba.gov/disaster.