Replacing Personal Documents after a Natural Disaster

ANNISTON, Ala. – Survivors of the Calhoun, Cullman and Etowah counties March tornadoes and storms who have lost important documents can use this guide to help obtain replacements.

 All of the organizations listed below offer online resources. If personal computers aren’t available, public libraries and other agencies may have computers available to the general public.

Document Who to Contact for Replacement
Birth and Death Certificates Birth and Death Certificates Alabama Department of Public Health, call 800-252-1818 or online vital records.
Lost Green Card Go to and complete the Form I-90, application to replace a permanent resident card, and file it online or by mail. Call 800-375-5283 to check the status of your application.
Alabama Driver License Go online to Alabama driver’s license. Call 256-435-7006 in Calhoun County, 256-775-4822 for Cullman County or 256- 492-5035 for Etowah County for the individual offices.
EBT Card

Bank Checks, ATM/Debit Cards, or Safe Deposit Boxes

Lost EBT card replacements – call 800-997-8888 immediately.

Contact your financial institution or get contact information from the FDIC by calling 877-275-3342 or going to



Credit Cards Contact the issuing institution:


American Express 800-528-4800 or go online here: lost or stolen card


Discover 800-347-2683 or


Master Card: Call 800-347-2683 or go online


Visa: Call 800-847-2911or go online


NOTE: If you don’t remember all the credit cards you had, obtain a credit report from any of the three major credit bureaus.

Credit Report Equifax, Experian or TransUnion 877-322-8228 or
Social Security Card Social Security 800-772-1213 or
Fraud Alerts or a Credit Freeze Fraud Alerts: Call the identity theft helpline at 877-382-4357 contact the FTC at:
Medicare Cards Social Security Administration 800-772-1213 or
Passport U.S. Department of State, Passport Services, Consular Lost/Stolen Passport 877-487-2778 or
U.S. Savings Bonds U.S. Department of Treasury 844-284-2676 or
Tax Returns Internal Revenue Service 800-829-1040 or download the Request for Copy of Tax Return at
Military Records National Archives and Records Administration

866-272-6272 or


Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

 FEMA’s mission: Helping people before, during, and after disasters.

Follow us on Twitter at and the FEMA Blog at

 The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps businesses of all sizes, private non-profit organizations, homeowners and renters fund repairs or rebuilding efforts and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations. For more information, applicants may contact SBA’s Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center by calling 800-659-2955 (Deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals may call 800-877-8339), emailing, or visiting SBA’s Web site at