Register With FEMA Even If…

 Anniston, AL — FEMA reminds individuals and families who had damage as a result of the March tornadoes and storms in Calhoun, Cullman and Etowah counties that they must register with FEMA if they are seeking federal disaster grants or loans.

“We often find that folks think they are registered with FEMA because they have contacted their local emergency managers, disaster-relief organizations or local community or faith-based organizations, but they are not,” said Brett Howard, state coordinating officer for the Alabama recovery. “The only way we can get federal assistance to eligible survivors is if they are registered with FEMA.”

That means you must register with FEMA even if you have contacted local government officials, state agencies or programs, the American Red Cross or any other agency or local organization. Only a FEMA registration will open the way for possible federal grants and loans.

“Survivors also sometimes mistakenly think they are not eligible for federal or state assistance, but when we review their applications we find they are,” said Thomas McCool, federal coordinating officer for the Alabama recovery. “That’s why it’s so important that they register.”

That means register with FEMA,  even if

  • … you have insurance. FEMA may be able to provide additional assistance or help with other needs not covered by insurance. FEMA cannot duplicate insurance payments, but underinsured applicants may receive help after their insurance claims have been settled.
  • … your home is damaged or you’re unsure if you have identified all the damage or loss. If your home is damaged, you may be contacted by a FEMA housing inspector who will make an appointment to inspect your home to determine and verify damages.
  • … you are a renter. Renters may be eligible other needs assistance if they lost furnishings or other personal property.
  • … you receive government benefits (like Social Security) and think you’re not eligible to register.  Receiving FEMA assistance does not affect benefits being received through other government programs.


  • you think other people need the assistance more than you do. Make your assessment based on your needs not the needs of others. Register online at or by calling 800-621-3362 or TTY 800-462-7585. Those who use 711 Relay or Video Relay Services may call 800-621-3362. Persons with a smartphone can download the FEMA app at and register. Disaster assistance for individuals may include grants to help pay for temporary housing and emergency home repairs to make a home habitable. Survivors could also be eligible for grants for serious disaster-related expenses not covered by insurance or low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).For more information on disaster recovery, click Alabama Emergency Management: and Twitter: @alabama.ema . You also can follow FEMA on Twitter: @femaregion4, Instagram: @fema, and Facebook: @FEMA.

Your letter should include:

  • Your full name
  • Your FEMA registration number on all pages
  • The FEMA this disaster declaration number – DR-4362-AL – on all pages
  • Your signature

You must mail or fax documents and your letter within 60 days of receiving your determination letter to:

FEMA National Processing Service Center

P.O. Box 10055

Hyattsville, MD 20782-7055

Or, fax to 800-827-8112, attention: FEMA Individuals and Households Programs.


Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

 FEMA’s mission: Helping people before, during, and after disasters.

Follow us on Twitter at and the FEMA Blog at

 The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps businesses of all sizes, private non-profit organizations, homeowners and renters fund repairs or rebuilding efforts and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations. For more information, applicants may contact SBA’s Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center by calling 800-659-2955 (Deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals may call 800-877-8339), emailing, or visiting SBA’s Web site at

Leave a Reply